The Cairns Performing Arts Centre opened on 15 December 2018 completing Council's vision for The Precinct.
CPAC replaces the former Cairns Civic Theatre providing a greatly enhanced audience experience and a state-of-the-art facility that will support our local performers.
The $71 million project took about 2 years to construct.
The main components of CPAC are:
- A 941 seat main auditorium incorporating balcony seating
- A significantly increased foyer, bar area and public amenities
- A studio theatre that can double as a 400-seat performance space, rehearsal and warm-up area
- Improved back of house facilities, including more change rooms and toilets, a cross over, higher and covered loading bay
- A deeper stage, more spacious wings, higher proscenium arch, higher fly tower and more fly lines
- A much larger orchestra pit and providing better piano storage
- Improve acoustics
For further information, or to book tickets for CPAC shows, please visit the CPAC website.
The Cairns Performing Arts Centre is a joint initiative of Cairns Regional Council, the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland and the Australian Government.
Cairns Civic Theatre vs CPAC
This table provides a comparison of the major components of the Cairns Civic Theatre versus the new Cairns Performing Arts Centre.
Cairns Civic Theatre
Cairns Performing Arts Centre
Total floor area (all levels)
Seating main theatre
941 (including 260 balcony seats and 20 box seats)
Seating studio theatre
400 (including 81 balcony seats)
10m deep by 22m wide (including wings)
13.5m deep by 27m wide (including wings).
Large enough for a full symphony orchestra or ballet company.
13.1m wide by 6.1m high
14m wide by 8m high
Toilets, public areas
Female 16, Male 8 (including urinals)
Female 28, Male 14 (including urinals)
Ground floor, female 18, Male 9 (including urinals)
Balcony, Female 10, Male 5 (including urinals)
3 accessible toilets
Toilets, back of house
12, including 4 PWD
Food and refreshment service
375m2 paved area
18.75m (3-4 car lengths or 50-seater bus and 1 car)