Our Cairns 2020
- Description: The Our Cairns survey is the biggest survey conducted in this city. It aims to identify the community's needs and desires for the future of Cairns from a social, liveability, economic and cultural perspective.
- Status: Open
- Consultation period: 12:00pm 27/08/2020 to 5:00pm 16/10/2020
The Our Cairns survey is the biggest survey conducted in this city and is aimed at identifying the needs and desires of the community to guide the future of Cairns from a social, liveability, economic and cultural perspective. The first Our Cairns survey was conducted in 2016 and attracted 6400 respondents.
The 2020 survey contains 3 parts:
- General questions about things like liveability, facilities and services, traffic congestion, disaster resilience, the economy, the environment, higher density, arts and culture.
- Questions on topical issues like:
- One-laning of CBD streets
- Whether Council should start suburban security patrols
- Whether dogs should be allowed in the CBD
- Should cyclists be banned from CBD footpaths
- Whether Cairns should host a Schoolies Week
- Whether people should be allowed to drink alcohol on the Esplanade and other foreshore areas.
- Questions on Council’s performance in providing the community with services and facilities.
Do the survey online
The survey is open until 5pm on Friday 16 October 2020. The year, for the first time, we've also developed a special Our Cairns Youth Survey so young people can directly tell us what they need and want in terms of facilities and services.
Follow the links below to complete either survey online. The survey is best completed in the following browsers:
- Chrome 18 and later
- Firefox 24 and later
- Safari 7 or later
- Microsoft Edge
If you'd prefer, you can pick up a hard-copy survey form from Council's Customer Service Centre at 119-145 Spence Street or your nearest library branch.
You can also download a printable version of the Our Cairns survey ( PDF, 4.29 MB ) and place it in the specially-marked blue boxes at Customer Service or any of our libraries.
The information gathered in the surveys will be used:
- To contribute to the Council’s new Corporate Plan;
- To ascertain the community’s satisfaction with Council’s overall activities and service delivery;
- To enable residents to raise issues or suggestions about their specific suburb; and,
- To ask the community their views on topical issues to help guide Council in its decision-making.