Freshwater and Stratford town planning survey
The content below is for information purposes only.
- Description: Council sought feedback on town planning requirements for new residential development in Freshwater and Stratford.
- Status: Closed
- Consultation period: 5:00am 22/07/2019 to 11:59pm 12/08/2019
Cairns Regional Council is seeking your feedback on the town planning requirements for new residential development within the suburbs of Freshwater and Stratford.
Council has received a submission from the Stratford and Freshwater Community Association requesting changes to the town planning requirements for Freshwater and Stratford. There have also been a number of residential developments that have occurred in these suburbs over the past few years and Council has received feedback from residents about these developments.
In response to the feedback received, Council is now considering making changes to the town planning requirements for Freshwater and Stratford.
Current planning requirements
The CairnsPlan 2016 planning scheme regulates how development occurs across the Cairns local government area. It includes requirements for residential development, including:
- where types of development can occur (ie, where houses, units and duplexes can be built), and
- minimum sizes for new lots in a subdivision.
Parts of Freshwater and Stratford are within a Neighbourhood Character Overlay under the planning scheme. This overlay aims to protect the character of the streets including features of places that contribute to character (eg, architectural style and building materials). The maps below highlight the Neighbourhood Character areas:
- Freshwater Neighbourhood Character Overlay ( PDF, 0.31 MB )
- Stratford Neighbourhood Character Overlay ( PDF, 0.37 MB )
Have your say
It is important to have your say because any future changes to town planning requirements may impact development opportunities on your land, your neighbour’s land and your suburb. The survey is open to current property owners, renters and business operators in the suburbs of Freshwater and Stratford, as well as general community members who have a particular interest in these suburbs.
The survey will be open from 22 July until 12 August 2019.