Freshwater and Stratford town planning survey
The content below is for information purposes only.
- Description: Council sought feedback on town planning requirements for new residential development in Freshwater and Stratford.
- Status: Closed
- Consultation period: 5:00am 22/07/2019 to 11:59pm 12/08/2019
In 2019, Council undertook a community survey seeking feedback on the town planning requirements for new residential developments within the suburbs of Freshwater and Stratford. The community survey was open from 22 July 2019 to 12 August 2019.
- Download the Consultation Report ( PDF, 0.84 MB ) for more about the process and a summary of the findings of the survey.
Cairns Regional Council is seeking your feedback on the town planning requirements for new residential development within the suburbs of Freshwater and Stratford.
Council has received a submission from the Stratford and Freshwater Community Association requesting changes to the town planning requirements for Freshwater and Stratford. There have also been a number of residential developments that have occurred in these suburbs over the past few years and Council has received feedback from residents about these developments.
In response to the feedback received, Council is now considering making changes to the town planning requirements for Freshwater and Stratford.
Current planning requirements
The CairnsPlan 2016 planning scheme regulates how development occurs across the Cairns local government area. It includes requirements for residential development, including:
- where types of development can occur (ie, where houses, units and duplexes can be built), and
- minimum sizes for new lots in a subdivision.
Parts of Freshwater and Stratford are within a Neighbourhood Character Overlay under the planning scheme. This overlay aims to protect the character of the streets including features of places that contribute to character (eg, architectural style and building materials). The maps below highlight the Neighbourhood Character areas: