City Centre Master Plan ideas
The content below is for information purposes only.
- Description: Share your thoughts on three initial project ideas for a new City Centre Master Plan - a renewed Esplanade Parklands; an Esplanade Dining Precinct; and a new Gallery Precinct.
- Status: Closed
- Consultation period: 11:00am 28/03/2018 to 11:00pm 30/04/2018
- Contact: email@example.com
Why a new plan?
A number of plans and studies have guided the development of public places in the Cairns city centre over recent decades. Among these are the 2001 Esplanade Master Plan, which delivered the much-loved Esplanade Parklands, and the 2011 City Centre Master Plan, which focused on revitalising the city’s important central business precinct at Lake and Shields streets.
Growing population, increasing tourism, renewed investment and rising business confidence are reshaping the city. There is now a need for a new City Centre Master Plan to guide the city's ongoing evolution as a vibrant, liveable space for all.
As the first step in developing the next City Centre Master Plan, Council has identified three project ideas. Download the Ideas Paper ( PDF, 3 MB ) or click the links below to read more about each idea:
Together, we can make the Cairns city centre one that not only meets the needs of the community, but showcases the best of our city to the world. Here’s how you can have your say on the future of the City Centre.
- Complete the short online survey
- Share your ideas, suggestions and example photos on our interactive Ideas Wall
- Talk to one of our team during Festival 2018 on the Esplanade (4-15 April)
- Email your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the long term, as individual projects are defined and funded, Council will undertake further concept design, technical investigation, testing and community engagement.