Car parking changes - Charles St and Lake St consultation
The content below is for information purposes only.
- Location: Cairns City
- Description: Have your say on the proposed parking changes in Lake and Charles Sts.
- Status: Closed
- Consultation period: 12:00am 28/08/2018 to 11:59pm 14/09/2018
Council proposes to create more car parking spaces in Charles Street and Lake Street, as part of the overall parking changes within the busy Hospital precinct.
Additional car parking spaces will be created by introducing new centre median parking bays and tree islands, and either modifying, removing and/or replacing existing centre median and road shoulder islands. New u-turn facilities will also be introduced, where possible.
The number of additional car-parking bays introduced as a result of introducing these changes, results in a gain of approx. 142 parking bays across the 3 blocks, consisting of:
- an extra 39 parking bays in Charles St (from Sheridan St to Lake St);
- an extra 78 parking bays in Lake St (McKenzie St to Charles St); and
- an extra 25 parking bays in Lake St (Charles St to Grove St).
The above changes would result in several tree removals. New street tree plantings would be undertaken to replace these trees, where possible. Car parks in this area would be 8-hour free bays.
Council is interested in hearing what you think about this proposal - please review the plans in the For Download section below.
To submit feedback or to request further information, please contact Council on (07) 4044 3326 or email firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 14 September 2018.