- The PlantSmart guide ( PDF, 0.5 MB ) will help you choose suitable plants for planting near powerlines.
- The Responsible Tree Management fact sheet ( PDF, 0.39 MB ) contains tips on choosing appropriate trees for the tropics, information on tree removal, and how to deal with nuisance trees, tree roots, neighbouring trees and other tree issues.
- The Dirty Dozen plant guide ( PDF, 2.74 MB ) lists 12 common garden plants that can become environmental weeds.
- Use the Gardening with Natives list ( PDF, 2.18 MB ) to choose local native plants instead of exotics for your urban backyard.
- Council's planning scheme provides vegetation protection codes and instruments. You may require a permit to damage or remove vegetation.
- Disagreements about trees and vegetation crossing property boundaries are a major cause of neighbourhood conflict. Read more about options for resolving disputes about trees and vegetation.
We run a native plant nursery (not open to public) to supply revegetation and restoration activities at sites including Cattana Wetlands and Cairns Central Swamp, for Reef Rescue and River Improvement Trust projects, and Tropical Tree Day.
We support landcare groups, community groups, schools and landowners that are engaging in genuine revegetation projects.
Help us to plot the region's trees
Council has a publicly available mapping tool called TreePlotter which all residents can use to identify trees in their area.
You can also use the tool to help us meet our long-term goal of plotting all trees on Council land - in parks, on streets and along foreshores - to help us better manage this invaluable natural asset.
More than 250 introduced plants species have been identified as current or potential pests in the Cairns Regional Council area. Of these, the pest plants with the highest priority rating were included in Council's Biosecurity Plan. The greatest management effort is put into the control of Thunbergia, Parthenium, Water Lettuce, Hygrophila (Glush Weed), Siam Weed and Hymenachne.
You can read Council's biosecurity planning documents related to these pest plants, which are for download below.