There are local groups active in the Cairns region with regular opportunities to get involved:
- Treeforce: Cairns - Freshwater area.
- Mulgrave Landcare and Catchment: south of Cairns.
- Melaleuca Creek Restoration Project: Bramston Beach.
- Holloways Beach Coast Care: Holloways Beach.
- Russell Landcare and Catchment Group: Babinda.
- Green Space Our Place: Join the community effort in this Council-run volunteer program for revegetation, gardening and guiding in local parks, gardens, waterways and walking tracks
Citizen science is a way to contribute to the monitoring and management of our natural areas. There are many programs in the Cairns region including:
- Eye on the Reef: A reef health monitoring program run by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority.
- Mangrove Watch: Monitors mangroves because healthy mangroves support a healthy reef. To join others on the water, contact the Cairns and Far North Environment Centre.
- Frog Id: Australia’s first national frog count in an app that records frog calls.
- Australian Marine Debris Database: A database for submitting information on litter that is found at local Clean Ups, contributing to research and education for improved litter management.
- Feather Map of Australia: The national effort to capture a map of bird species by collecting and sending in feathers found in local wetlands.
- Feral Scan: A way to map sightings of pest animal species in your area to assist control efforts.