Community Gardens bring people together to grow fresh food at little or no cost in neighbourhoods across the region. They are a fantastic space to meet new people, learn new skills, get active and experience the satisfaction of growing nutritious fruit and vegetables.
This reduces the environmental impacts of diets usually made up of food that is transported great distances and is especially important for those living in high density areas without a garden. There are several gardens supported by Council:
- Manoora Community Garden: Lot 8 (cul-de-sac), Rollinia Close, Manoora
- Holloways Beach Community Garden: Raintrees Park, Oleander Street, Holloways Beach
- Edmonton Community Garden: Walker Road, Edmonton
- Bungalow Community Garden: 7 Kidston Street, Bungalow
- Marlin Coast Community Garden: 205 Reed Rd, Trinity Park
- Stratford Community Garden, Kamerunga Rd, Stratford
- Gordonvale Community Garden, Simmonds St, Gordonvale.
There are many more communities growing food in Cairns, including schools, kindies and James Cook University.
In 2012 Council adopted the Community Gardens Policy and Cairns Region Community Gardens Guidelines to address the growing demand for community gardens and to provide guidance, framework and an approval process for establishing a community garden on Council owned and controlled land.