A community Clean Up is a great way to bring your community together for a cause that boosts community pride and creates a litter-free environment.
Cairns Regional Council and Clean Up Australia support community Clean Ups, simply:
- Contact Council's sustainability team for local support, including promotion of your Clean Up, extra equipment and to arrange rubbish collection.
- Register your site and receive planning checklists and volunteer insurance with Clean Up Australia.
There are three types of Clean Ups held in the region:
- The Great Northern Clean Up: The region's largest event of corporate and community Clean Ups held in September, just before the wet season to reduce the risk of litter entering our marine environment. Groups are encouraged to register a site or join an existing one, with promotional support from Council. Each year, participants have the chance to win prizes for their efforts in keeping our patch of paradise litter free.
- Clean Up Australia Day: Held in March each year, these Clean Ups join with others across Australia.
- Everyday Clean Ups: Can't wait for one of the annual Clean Ups? You can hold a community Clean Up any time of year, just register your site with Clean Up Australia and contact Council to request rubbish collection 2 weeks ahead of the event.
Advocacy and Education
Collecting data on what you pick up at a Clean Up can contribute to research and education for improved litter management - find out how from the Tangaroa Blue Australian Marine Debris Database.
To learn about the impacts of litter on our marine environment, head to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park website.