In Far North Queensland, the region can generally expect:
- higher temperatures
- more intense downpours of rainfall
- rising sea level and more frequent sea level extremes.
- warmer and more acidic seas
- hotter and more frequent hot days
- less frequent but more intense tropical cyclones
More information about the projected changes for the Cairns Local Government Area under different scenarios of greenhouse gas pollution can be found on the Australian Government's website, Climate Change in Australia or the State Government's Queensland Future Climate Dashboard.
To find out more about the impacts these changes may have, please see the Queensland Government's Impact Summary for Far North Queensland.
Greenhouse gas emissions
Community emissions from residential, industry and commercial sectors for the Cairns Local Government Area can be understood using the snapshot report.