Barking is one of the main causes of neighbourhood friction - Council receives more than 1400 complaints about this matter each year.
As pack animals, dogs need regular love and affection, so it's not surprising that two of the main reasons behind barking are boredom and lack of attention. It also explains why many people are unaware their dog is barking as it only barks when they are away from home.
You can reduce and even prevent barking by making sure your dog:
- Goes for regular walks
- Has some play time, either with a family member or appropriate toys
- Has enough food and water or treats to get through the day
Dogs, like humans, can feel anxious or scared when left at home alone. You can help by:
- Leaving the radio or tv on tuned to a speaking channel
- Leaving an old shoe or piece of clothing that has your scent on it
- Letting your pooch into a section of your home that has your smell