Wandering cat or dog

In the first instance, we encourage neighbours to discuss and attempt to resolve neighbourhood conflicts, including wandering pets. It is common that owners are unaware of the nuisance their animal/s are causing.

If you are not comfortable talking to your neighbour or you don't know where the animal lives, contact Council on 4044 3044. We can potentially:

  • Capture and impound the cat or dog incurring impound fees
  • Issue large fines
  • Issue a compliance notice to the owner to contain the animal securely.

You can report a wandering animal by phone on 1300 69 22 47, in person at Council's Customer Service Centres or online.

What is wandering?

A dog or cat is considered to be wandering, or straying at large, if it is outside the owner's property and NOT under the effective control of a responsible person. Effective control means that the animal is accompanied by a person that the dog or cat will respond to through verbal or physical command, or is on a lead.

Proper enclosures

Wandering animals are more likely to attack other animals and wildlife, or be injured themselves. It is the pet owner's responsibility to ensure their animal doesn't wander.

A well maintained fence or enclosure is a great precaution against wandering.

You can also consider a secure kennel or cage if your animal is prone to wandering at night.

Last updated: 13 October 2017