Pets and other animals you own are your responsibility in a disaster - you need to include them in your household (or business) emergency plan and take them with you if going to family, friends or colleagues.
Pets are not allowed in public storm tide cyclone shelters or places of refuge, so you need to think about how you can best look after them if you need to evacuate.
Some handy tips:
- Have carriers that are large enough for pets to stand and turn around in
- Make sure pet registrations and vaccinations are current
- Keep a photo of your pet in case it gets lost
- Have enough newspaper or litter, food and medication to last a week
- If you don't need to evacuate, decide where you'll keep your pet while the danger is passing.