The Cairns Regional Multicultural Reference Group commenced a 12 month pilot in December 2016 – December 2017. The pilot was originally co-facilitated by Cairns Regional Council and Centacare FNQ and has now progressed to being facilitated by the group with secretarial support provided by Centacare FNQ. The group consists of community members from diverse cultural and faith backgrounds, representing the cultural diversity of Cairns.
The reference group activities focus on three key themes: strategic planning, capacity building and networking.. The selection process for participation was based on the following participation values:
- Sustainable (requires motivated and available participants
- Inclusion (marginal participants need access)
- Representation (ethnicity, faith, language, gender, age)
- Participation (diversity of people given the opportunity to participate)
- Equitable (fair and transparent in selection)
For further information regarding the Cairns Region Multicultural Reference Group, please contact Annette McKail, Centacare FNQ at Annette.McKail@centacarefnq.org or phone (07) 4044 0130.