Disability Action Week 2019!
Disability Action Week will be held from 15- 29 September 2019 and raises awareness of how Queenslanders can play their own role in creating an all abilities Queensland.
The week acknowledges the important and varied contributions people living with a disability make to our state. The week also aims to empower people with disability, raise awareness of disability issues, and improve access and inclusion throughout the wider community.
Community groups, organisations and associations are invited to submit an application to access up to $4000 to help with events held as part of Disability Action Week 2019 (15 - 29 September).
Grant applications are NOW OPEN and close on May 31 2019.
Funding is for activities, projects and events that take place during the State wide celebration of Disability Action Week in September.
Applicants are encouraged to contact the Community Services Unit on 4044 3095 or email@example.com to discuss their application prior to submission.
- Grant application forms are available at: www.cairns.qld.gov.au/grants
- Download the Disability Action Week Grants poster. ( PDF, 1.02 MB )
*It is advised to speak with a Council Community Services Officer before submitting your application so we can assist and check your eligibility before the closing date
Contact us to list your local community event on this calendar.
Access and Inclusion Action Plan
The Cairns Regional Council Access and Inclusion Plan 2017-2021 is aimed at fostering an organisational and regional commitment to recognising the contributions and enhancing participation levels of people of all abilities in the Cairns community.
Accessible Cairns: Access for All Directory
Our Access for All Directory helps locals and visitors with a disability, as well as their family, friends, carers and support workers, to plan their trip to and access services around the Cairns region.
- Would you like your business to be listed in the Access for All Directory? If so, contact Council's Access & Equity Officer by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To help make our region more accessible, we invite visitors to take our quick Cairns Accessible Tourism survey. Your experiences and feedback will tell us how we can improve the quality, availability and accessibility of tourism services and facilities in Cairns and Tropical North Queensland.
- Like our Disability Access and Equity Cairns Facebook page to keep up to date with information and initiatives happening in Cairns.
- For more information about accessibility in Cairns, contact Council's Access & Equity Officer email@example.com
Accessibility topics and FAQs
- Infirm service for wheelie bin collection.
- Damaged footpaths or access issues.
- Disability parking and permits.
- MLAK national keying system: MLAK is fitted at Lagoon amenities and Muddy's Playground on Cairns Esplanade.
- Communication support at Council events and facilities.
- Beach wheelchairs.
- Mobility guide for motorised wheelchairs and mobility scooters.
- Recharge emergency break-down service for powered mobility devices.
Cyclone and emergency accessible information
Council has prepared cyclone information in different formats to ensure all sections of our community can plan, pack and listen.
People with hearing or vision impairments or complex communication needs can use our accessible and multi-lingual cyclone and emergency information resources.