The CitySafe CCTV System, is comprised of a network of closed circuit television cameras, which are installed in the Cairns Central Business District (CBD), and which may also be installed in other locations as determined by Council.
Objectives of CitySafe
- To identify and prevent illegal and/or inappropriate behaviour in the Cairns CBD which has the potential to alarm or threaten citizens, or to result in damage of property and the good order of the Cairns CBD.
- To permit the controlled provision of information by Council to the agencies of the Department of Emergency Services (Police, Ambulance, Fire) and to other statutory bodies with powers to prosecute to enable the development of effective responses to observed incidents.
Purpose of CitySafe
- To assist in identifying and coordinating responses to incidents that negatively impact upon public safety for the community and visitors to Cairns.
- To obtain reliable information that may be used as evidence.
- To operate according to recognised industry standards and legislation, as detailed in the Operating Procedures in relation to the provision of Security services and risk management.
- To operate with efficiency, impartiality and integrity.
- To acknowledge that personal protection has priority over property protection.
- To ensure that the public interest is paramount over the privacy of the individual and the private interests of system operators.
- To operate with regard to the public requirements for due care, diligence and confidentiality.
The City Safe Officer is appointed responsible for the practical operations of the Cairns CCTV System, including ensuring that at all times the system is operated in accordance with Council Policies, guidelines and relevant legislation.
Access to CCTV footage
Requests to view Council's CCTV camera footage is restricted as outlined below:
- Council's CCTV policy governing access to footage is guided by the Information Privacy Act 2009 and the Right to Information Act 2009.
- For general members of the public, access to CCTV data must be made through a formal written order issued by a body with administrative or judicial jurisdiction for example court orders, warrants, prerogative writs and subpoenas.
Applications to view Council's CCTV data may be made by:
- statutory bodies with powers to prosecute.
For the purpose of:
- providing evidence in criminal proceedings
- providing evidence in civil proceedings
- the prevention and reduction of crime and disorder
- the investigation and detection of crime (including identification of offenders)
- identification of witnesses.
Note: Data held by CitySafe may be relevant in civil proceedings. Searches for CCTV data may only be completed through an application by a solicitor using Council's Request for CCTV data form. If relevant footage is found, a subpoena is required for release of the CCTV data. Fees and charges will apply. In all circumstances the release of data should be for lawful purposes.
To request Council's CCTV Request for CCTV data please email email@example.com or phone Council's Customer Service team on 1300 69 22 47.