Council is reviewing its regulation of advertising devices with the intent to prepare a contemporary policy position on advertising devices.
At Council’s Ordinary meeting on 22 May 2019, Council resolved to make amendments to its Local laws and CairnsPlan 2016 Planning Scheme. Proposed amendments have since been prepared based on the outcomes of the policy review, and Council has consulted with relevant state government entities about these proposed amendments.
On 10 July 2019, at its Ordinary meeting, Council resolved to undertake public consultation on the proposed amendments to implement the outcomes of the policy review.
Public consultation on proposed amendments
Council invites public feedback on the proposed amendments to the CairnsPlan 2016 Planning Scheme and Council's Local Laws.
A copy of the proposed amendments can be viewed below:
- Proposed amendment to CairnsPlan 2016 Planning Scheme ( PDF, 5.55 MB )
- Proposed amendment to Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2016 ( PDF, 5.32 MB )
- Proposed Local Law No. 4 (Advertising Devices) 2019 ( PDF, 3.7 MB )
The Advertising Devices Policy Review 2019 Fact Sheet ( PDF, 0.71 MB ) provides more information about the proposed amendments.
Public consultation on anti-competitive provisions
The Local Law making process requires Council to undertake a review of the proposed local laws to determine if these contain any anti-competitive provisions, and where applicable, to assess the significance of any impacts.
Council has identified that the proposed amendment to Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2016 and the proposed Local Law No. 4 (Advertising Devices) 2019 contain provisions that may potentially have an anti-competitive effect.
A Public Interest Review Consultation Paper has been prepared. Council is now seeking feedback from the community and businesses to determine whether, on balance, the proposed provisions are in the overall public interest and should be retained.
A copy of the Public Interest Review Consultation Paper can be viewed below:
Have your say
Public consultation is being undertaken from 11 July 2019 to 9 August 2019.
You can make a submission on the proposed amendments or Public Interest Consultation Paper:
- By email to: email@example.com
- By mail to: PO Box 359, Cairns, Qld, 4870
- In person at Council’s Administration Building at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns
To be considered properly made, submissions must:
- be in writing;
- include the name and postal address of each person making the submission;
- include the grounds (reasons) for the submission and the facts and circumstances relied on in support of the grounds;
- be signed by each person making the submission if the submission is not lodged electronically; and
- be made during the consultation period from Thursday 11 July 2019 to Friday 9 August 2019.
For further information about the proposed amendment please contact Council’s Strategic Planning Unit on 1300 69 22 47.