COVID-19 Response Investment Incentive Policy
Council has adopted the COVID-19 Response Investment Incentive Policy - effective 12 August 2020 until 30 June 2022.
The Policy aims to support small scale development, such as those being considered by “mum and dad” investors, where infrastructure charges may be a barrier. In doing so, it will provide an economic stimulus for the Cairns development and construction industries and local employment across the region.
Read more and check your eligibility for the COVID-19 investment incentive.
Eligible development types
- All development in:
- Cairns City and Cairns North,
- Precinct 1 – Town Centre of the Gordonvale Local Plan; or
- Precinct 1 – Munro Street and Precinct 2 – Mill re-development of the Babinda Local Plan; or
- All small scale residential development; or
- All development that involves the reuse of an existing site or tenancy that does not result in an increase of Gross Floor Area (GFA); or
- All centre activities or industry activities.
Development which has commenced (construction has commenced or the use has commenced) and large scale residential subdivision is ineligible for an incentive under the Policy.
Additional eligibility criteria
Your development also needs to meet the following criteria to be eligible:
- Development commences construction between 12 August 2020 and 30 June 2022; and
- At least 80% of the project value has been completed between 12 August 2020 and 30 June 2022; and
- No less than 80% of the workforce on site consists of locals.
The value of the incentive offered
A 100% waiver of infrastructure charges payable for the following eligible development is applicable:
- For all development in the identified locations;
- For all small scale residential development;
- For all development that involves the reuse of an existing site or tenancy that does not result in an increase of GFA.
For eligible development of centre activities (where not located within the identified locations) up to 50m2 GFA of infrastructure charges payable for the development will be waived.
For eligible development of industrial activities (where not located within the identified locations) up to 100m2 GFA of infrastructure charges payable for the development will be waived.
Example, for eligible development of centre and industrial activities where located within the identified locations a 100% waiver of infrastructure charges payable for the following eligible development is applicable.
Confirmation of your developments eligibility needs to be made in writing (using the below form) at the time the infrastructure charges for your development become payable (Note: infrastructure charges are payable for a Material Change of Use prior to the commencement of the use, and for Reconfiguration of a Lot prior to the Survey Plan endorsement).
The policy also allows Council to consider incentives for catalytic development on a case by case basis. Catalytic developments are defined within the policy Requests for any incentive for catalytic development is to be made in writing to Council.
We're here to help
- For all general enquiries regarding your developments eligibility please call 1300 692 247.
- To prepare an infrastructures charges estimate for development, use our Infrastructure Charges Estimator.
When and where do I submit my eligibility criteria form?
At the time the infrastructure charges for your development become payable, the below form needs to be submitted to Council by any of the below methods.
|By Person||Over the counter at Council's main Customer Service Centre|
119-145 Spence Street
CAIRNS QLD 4870
This office is open from 8:30am to 4:30pm weekdays (excluding public holidays)
|By Mail||Cairns Regional Council |
Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
PO Box 359
CAIRNS QLD 4870