COVID-19 Response Investment Incentive Policy
Council has adopted the COVID-19 Response Investment Incentive Policy - effective 12 August 2020 until 30 June 2022.
The Policy aims to support small scale development, such as those being considered by “mum and dad” investors, where infrastructure charges may be a barrier. In doing so, it will provide an economic stimulus for the Cairns development and construction industries and local employment across the region.
Read more and check your eligibility for the COVID-19 investment incentive.
Infrastructure charges are levied on development as part of the development assessment process.
Charges contribute to the provision of Council's trunk infrastructure networks required to support the growth and development of the region as shown in Council's Local Government Infrastructure Plan .
Council levies infrastructure charges under its Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No.2) 2017 ( PDF, 1.91 MB ) which came into effect from 8 November 2017. The resolution details:
- the infrastructure charge rates for development;
- the types of development subject to infrastructure charges;
- the trunk infrastructure networks to which the infrastructure charges apply;
- how infrastructure charges are calculated;
- indexing of infrastructure charges;
- refund and offset provisions;
- the method for recalculating the cost of trunk infrastructure; and
- criteria used to assess applications to convert non trunk to trunk infrastructure.
To prepare an infrastructures charges estimate for development, use our Infrastructure Charges Estimator.
The resolution and schedules can be found here:
- Infrastructure Charges Resolution (No. 2) 2017 ( PDF, 1.91 MB )
- Infrastructure Charges - Schedule ( PDF, 0.21 MB )
- Infrastructure Charges - Charge Area Map ( PDF, 1.74 MB )
Council's Infrastructure charges register can be found by clicking on the below link:
Fee waiver for not-for-profit organisations
Council may offer financial assistance to not-for-profit organisations towards development assessment costs. This assistance is provided by part waiver of the infrastructure charges and fees associated with planning and development applications.