When preparing your application you must meet the requirements of Section 51 of the Planning Act 2016 for your application to be considered properly made. If your application does not meet these criteria, assessment does not start until the information is provided to Council.
The application must be:
- made to the Assessment Manager on the approved DA form or electronically
- provided with all supporting information (stated on the DA form as mandatory information)
- lodged with the appropriate fee (see fees and charges)
- accompanied (where required) by the consent of the owner of the land
Not properly made action notice
The Development Assessment Rules (DA Rules) Section 3.1 states that if the application is considered not properly made, the assessment manager must give the applicant an Action Notice. This notice will state the following:
- the application is not a properly made application
- the actions required to be compiled with to be a properly made application
The applicant has 20 business days, or any further period agreed to by Council to comply with an action notice. Upon completion of the actions, the applicant must give a notice to the Council stating that the action notice has been compiled with.
Council will then consider whether the action notice has been complied with and issue a Confirmation Notice if satisfied that the application is properly made.
Guide to lodgement
The following is a guide to lodging a development application:
- Check the property designation to determine how your proposed development would be assessed against the CairnsPlan 2016.
- Review if the proposed use is code or impact assessable and the relevant codes and Planning Scheme Policies.
- Prepare preliminary designs drawings.
- Alternately you may wish to consider engaging a town planning consultant to assist with the preparation of the application.
- Finalise plans and supporting documents.
- Complete DA Forms and ensure all mandatory requirements of the forms have been met.
- Lodge your application online, in person or by post. A copy of the Development Assessment Receipt Sheet can be found online if you are lodging your application in person.
If you are personally preparing the application, discuss your proposal with a Town Planner at Council's Planner of the Day counter, or seek pre-lodgement advice to determine if there any issues with the proposal.
Lodging your application
Over the counter at Council's main Customer Service Centre
This office is open from 8am to 5pm weekdays (excluding public holidays)
|By Mail||Cairns Regional Council |
Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
PO Box 359
CAIRNS QLD 4870
|By Email||Please contact Council's Planner of the Day at email@example.com for instructions on how to pay via credit card and lodge the application via email.|
|By Online||Development Applications Online Portal|