How to get advice
Cairns Regional Council can provide assistance with your planning application. There are a number of ways to gain advice about planning and development in Cairns, including the following:
- online tools and information via CairnsPlan 2016 Property Reporting tool and Factsheets.
- request for Prelodgement Advice
- obtain a copy of previous development applications and approvals via DA Online
- request for written information
- Planner of the Day service
Council's pre-lodgement service is a free* service available.
The pre-lodgement service provides an opportunity for the enquirer and Council officers to consider the key issues relevant to the assessment of a proposal prior to lodging an application. The intent of this service is to ensure the resolution of any issues prior to lodgement of a development application. Depending on the complexity of issues involved, prelodgement advice may be given as a written response or a prelodgement meeting.
As a minimum, a person using this service should:
- submit a Pre-lodgement Enquiry Form ( PDF, 0.15 MB ); and
- submit a Concept Plan drawn to scale and detailing the proposal including access, parking, open space, building height and setbacks from boundaries etc
For more detailed projects, a pre-lodgement meeting can be requested.
Any person utilising this service should accept that:
- a pre-lodgement enables informal discussion and advice only. It does not constitute a detailed assessment and does not guarantee in any way the outcome of any subsequent assessment process.
- advice will be given on issues detailed by the enquirer. Other issues may be raised by officers during the assessment process. The enquirer cannot rely on Council officers to identify areas of non-compliance during the pre-lodgement process.
Need planning help?
A planning officer is available from 9am to 4pm daily at Council's Administration Centre (119-145 Spence Street, Cairns) to assist with you any general planning enquiries.
Alternatively you can email the Planner of the Day at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need more information, you can call us on 1300 692 247.