Higher Risk Personal Appearance Services, such as tattooing and body piercing, operated from fixed, mobile or home-based premises require a licence. Applications for Higher Risk Personal Appearance Services can take up to 40 days to process.
Lower Risk Personal Appearance Services, such as hairdressers and beauty therapists, do not require a licence but must follow Infection Control Guidelines.
- Check with Town Planning to determine if a personal appearance serviceis permitted in the area. Use the Pre-Lodgement Enquiry form ( PDF, 0.15 MB ) to provide details of your proposal.
- Check with Trade Waste if you require trade waste approval to dispose of anything other than domestic sewage (liquid from hand basin, shower, bath or toilet) into drains.
- Check with Local Laws if a permit is required.
- Apply for your personal appearances service licence ( PDF, 0.14 MB ) and include advice on how you comply with the Queensland Development Code. (More information on requirements on personal appearance services premises is available in the document, Queensland Development Code MP 5.2 (PDF).)
Existing businesses, licence renewals and amendments
The same application form ( PDF, 0.14 MB ) is used to:
- Apply to operate a personal appearance service
- Renew a licence to operate a personal appearance service
- Amend an existing personal appearance service.
Taking over a business
- Before you purchase a business, we recommend that you request a Health pre-sales search (Land Record Search). This allows an Environmental Health Officer to inspect the premises, either as a desktop audit or a physical audit, to identify any issues.
- The vendor (or their legal counsel) will also need to complete and submit this form to authorise Council to release information to you ( PDF, 0.21 MB ).
- Check if you need Trade Waste approval to dispose of anything other than domestic sewage (liquid from hand basin, shower, bath or toilet) into drains.
- Submit your application to transfer a licence to operate a personal appearance service ( PDF, 0.14 MB ).