Your non-profit organisation may be eligible for a concession on various Council fees and charges. For non-profits wishing to operate a food business, these concessions include venue hire, local law and health licence fees, waste disposal, plumbing applications and development assessment.
Cairns Regional Council defines eligible non-profit organisations as:
Any non-profit, volunteer, charitable, community, sporting and religious organisation that do not manage or operate premises with poker machines and meets the following criteria:
- Non-profit community organisations, as determined by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO); or
- Religious institutions as determined by the ATO; or
- Schools registered with the Queensland Department of Education.
To be considered a non-profit community organisation the following criteria must be satisfied –
- The organisation is incorporated under Queensland’s Associations Incorporation Act 1981 or registered under the Collections Act 1961;
- There is no profit or gain by individual members of the group;
- The organisation’s constitution or governing documents prevent it from distributing profits or assets for the benefit of particular persons, both while it is operating and on winding up, and;
- Whilst a surplus can be made, it must be used to carry out the purpose and functions of the organisation.
Further information in relation to the type of assistance available can be found in Council’s Financial Assistance for NFP Organisations - Fees & Charges Policy ( PDF, 0.1 MB ).