Taking over an existing business

You need a food licence to operate any food premises in the  Cairns Regional Council area. This includes taking over an existing business.

Follow this three-step guide to ensure you have all the information and forms needed to make your application.

Step one

Before you purchase a business, we recommend that you organise a sales search. This allows an Environmental Health Officer to inspect the premises, either as a desktop audit or a physical audit, to identify any issues.

Complete and submit this form to request a sales search.

The vendor (or their legal counsel) will also need to complete and submit this form to authorise Council to release information to you.  

Step two

If you plan to make changes to equipment or structures you will need to submit a construct and/or refit premises application.

Step three
Don't forget to apply for your food business licence and Trade Waste Permit.

Last updated: 15 July 2015