It is estimated that more than five million Australians become ill as a result of consuming unsafe food each year. Over 30,000 of these cases result in hospitalisation.
Free food safety training
Running a food business often means long, busy hours, with many things to keep track of and manage. Sometimes food safety can be low on the priority list.
I’m Alert food safety training
To help, Council has subscribed to an online I'M ALERT Food Safety program which enables food handlers to complete training for FREE, in their own time and at a location of their choosing. This is is a convenient way for food handlers to achieve the required skills and knowledge.
I'M ALERT Food Safety enables a consistent and efficient delivery of Food Safety Training. The program can be accessed online and includes:
- Basic food safety principles for Food Safety Standards (e.g. temperature control, food receipt, food storage, hygiene of food handlers, etc).
- Interactive tasks and quizzes.
- Training acknowledgement form and certificate (assists a food business operator and staff to demonstrate skills and knowledge requirements).
Food Safe in Seconds
This Queensland Government initiative aims to promote safe food handling in the home in order to reduce the incidence of food poisoning.
Importance of food safety training
Most major food-borne illness outbreaks are caused by one of the following:
- Poor personal hygiene of food handlers
- Incorrect temperature control of food
- Inadequate cleaning and sanitising of surfaces and equipment
All employees in a food business are required to have skills and knowledge commensurate with their duties. This is important to meet legal requirements and to ensure the food they prepare is safe.
If your business causes a food-borne illness outbreak:
- Your licence may be suspended or cancelled
- You may be fined hundreds of thousands of dollars
- You could be personally prosecuted
- Your business could be closed down
Environmental Health Officers can visit a food premises at any time. If serious food safety breaches are found, the business can be closed down immediately.