Your licenced food business must have a Food Safety Supervisor. This person must have the experience and skills relevant to day-to-day food safety handling. They should also have the authority to instruct all staff within the food business.
The Food Safety Supervisor must be reasonably available whenever the business is operating, and they also serve as a point of contact for Council and staff who handle food in the food business.
Food Safety Supervisor requirements
A Food Safety Supervisor should:
- know how to recognise, prevent and alleviate food safety hazards within the food business
- have skills and knowledge in matters relating to food safety relevant to the food business
- have the authority to supervise and give directions about matters relating to food safety to people who handle food in the food business
Anyone who meets the above requirements may be a Food Safety Supervisor, including the business owners, the licensee, the manager or an employee or external contractor.
Although there is no specific or formally recognised training required to qualify as a Food Safety Supervisor, Council recommends that your designated FSS undertakes some form of formal food safety training.
Notification or amendment
You need to advise Council:
- the name and contact details of the Food Safety Supervisor within 30 days of the licence being issued. There is no fee for this.
- the name and contact details of any new Food Safety Supervisors within 14 days of the person becoming a Food Safety Supervisor
- if there is any changes to the contact details of the food safety supervisor within 14 days of the change
- if a person ceases to be a Food Safety Supervisor within 14 days of the change
You can notify Council of your Food Safety Supervisor by:
- phoning on 1300 69 22 47 or
- mail to Cairns Regional Council, PO Box 359, Cairns QLD 4870