Yes. Council issues permits for busking on Council-controlled land, such as footpaths, the Esplanade and parks.
From the 1 February 2018, Council will issue two types of Busking Permits – an Initial Permit and a Standard Permit.
An Initial Permit is for four weeks (unless otherwise stated) and will be issued if:
- The busker has not had a permit before
- The busking activity is a Category A activity:
- Category A includes all busking activities except for the Category B activities listed below
- The busking activity is to be carried out at a designated location within the Cairns CBD (link to CBD map)
A Standard Permit is for 12 months (unless otherwise stated) and will be issued if:
- The busker has previously had an initial permit and wishes to continue busking
- The busking activity is a Category B activity:
- Includes the use of dangerous materials or instruments (read more at What is a dangerous material or implement?)
- Balance, juggling or circle acts
- Pavement art performances
- Involves use of percussion or noisy instruments
- The busking activity will take place outside the designated area within the Cairns CBD
Read more at How do I apply for a Busking Permit?