What is Public Liability Insurance and do I need it?

Public Liability Insurance is designed for professionals who interact with customers or members of the public. It protects against claims of personal injury or property damage that a third party suffers (or claims to have suffered) as a result of your business activities.

Category B busking performers (those involving dangerous materials or instruments) must obtain their own Public Liability Insurance of $20 million.

Dangerous materials and implements are materials and implements that may pose a risk, hazard or uncertain outcome for people or property.

Dangerous materials include flammable materials and chemicals, fire, fireworks, smoke, flairs, heated elements or anything giving off a level of heat or toxicity that poses a threat of harm or damage to members of the public and public property. Dangerous implements includes knives, spears, swords, spikes and sharp implements of any kind that pose a threat of harm to the general public.

You will need to provide a copy of your Public Liability Insurance Certificate with your permit application.

If your performance does not include the use dangerous materials or instruments, you do not need to obtain individual Public Liability Insurance.

Last updated: 22 January 2018