How do I apply for a busking permit?

Fill in a Busking Permit Application Form ( DOC, 0.43 MB ) and submit it, in person, to Council at the Cairns Regional Council Esplanade Office between 9am and noon on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The Office is not open on weekends.

Busking Permit Application forms must be submitted in person and only within the times stated above.

The Esplanade office is at 52-54 The Esplanade.

Council does not issue group permits; each member of the group must submit an individual application form.

Please note the application form for an Initial Permit and a Standard Permit is the same, and is required to be completed for each application.

Buskers are encourage to read the Best Practice Management Policy for Busking ( PDF, 0.44 MB ) before completing their application.

What to bring

You will need photo identification that has your signature, a recent photograph and your date of birth, such as a drivers licence, passport, or student ID card. If your documents are not in English, such as an overseas drivers licence, you must also bring a full English translation of the document.

If you are under 16, you will require signed consent from a parent or guardian.

If you are conducting a performance that includes dangerous materials or implements you must provide a Public Liability Insurance Certificate in the amount of $20 million.  (Read more at What is a dangerous material or implement? and What is Public Liability Insurance and do I need it? )

You may be required to audition (read more at Do I need to audition? ).


There is no fee to obtain a Busking Permit in Cairns.

Last updated: 04 July 2018