We welcome the use of Council land for a variety of activities that enhance the Cairns lifestyle and provide opportunities for organisations and businesses.
Examples of activities that require a Council permit are:
- Personal training
- Recreational classes (e.g Zumba/running/group fitness)
- Stationary roadside vending
- Hire of equipment such as paddle boats and canoes
- Stage events
- Footpath dining
- Goods for sale on footpath outside the CBD
Permits are considered on a case-by-case basis and will include strict conditions to ensure public safety and protection of Council's assets. Organisers may be required to submit a Risk Management Plan, Waste Management Plan and a Public Liability Certificate prior to a permit being issued.
Be aware you may need additional Council permits, for instance if you are selling or offering food or broadcasting music.
Fees and charges vary depending on the type, duration and location of the activity.
To apply for a permit see additional information in For Download below.
- Download an application form (Application for Approval of a General Activity)