Businesses can be given approval to undertake a range of commercial activities on Council-controlled community land in the Cairns region, where it benefits the area and local residents.
If you are interested in conducting business activities on public land, you need to apply for a permit.
General Activity Permit
A General Activity Permit ( PDF, 0.15 MB ) is required for many different activities including (but not limited to):
- Personal training and fitness activities
- Recreational health and fitness classes (eg Zumba, running, group fitness)
- Stationary roadside vending
- Hire of equipment such as paddle boats and canoes
- Stage events
- Goods for sale on footpath outside the CBD
Permits for other business activities on public land
Separate permits are required for:
- Commercial photography and filming
- Footpath dining in the Cairns CBD
- activities on the Cairns Esplanade ( PDF, 0.11 MB ) eg commercial health and fitness activities (maximum of 50 clients), tours, amusement activities and rides, and vending.
Permits are considered on a case-by-case basis and will include strict conditions to ensure public safety and protection of Council's assets. Organisers may be required to submit a Risk Management Plan, Waste Management Plan and a Public Liability Certificate prior to a permit being issued.
Be aware you may need additional permits and approvals, for instance if you are selling or offering food or broadcasting music.
Fees and charges vary depending on the type, duration and location of the activity.