TNQ Innovation Awards 2018 Winners
Seven awards have been presented in the 2018 Tropical North Queensland Innovation Awards at the Tanks Arts Centre.
DOG treats made from fish that would otherwise go to waste through the commercial fishing industry, a building project management tool, and an after-market barbecue product are among the winners in the 2018 Tropical North Queensland Innovation Awards (TNQIA).
All Fish For Dogs treats and chews are made entirely from Australian wild caught fish. The range of healthy dog treats and chews are made from under-utilised fish and fish by-products from the commercial fishing industry.
The Mission Beach-based business took out both the Proven Innovation and Eco Innovation awards at this evening’s TNQIA presentation at the Tanks Arts Centre.
The Pipeline Innovation Award went to Allaro Homes Cairns for its PropIntel software solutions, which can be used by project teams to provide a coordinated and visual approach to construction projects.
The result of 10 years’ development, PropIntel comprises four software programs that create a real-time network for architects, engineers and builders to manage their projects.
Freedom Prosthetics was recognised through the Social Innovation Award for the design and implementation of a low-cost but high-quality 3D-printed component to assist amputees in developing countries.
The Mayor’s Inspire Award was presented to TB2 BBQ Smokers FNQ’s Kettle Kone – an aftermarket barbecue accessory that is designed for hot and fast cooking.
The Kettle Kone was developed in the wake of a family tragedy and was the product of determination and focus that helped drive its makers through their emotional hardship.
The People’s Choice Award was taken out by Tolga Year 5 student Kelby Cifuentes for his Toadanator – an easy-to-use trap that targets cane toad tadpoles with the goal of reducing toad populations.
- Pipeline Innovation Award – PropIntel by Allaro Homes Cairns
- Proven Innovation Award – All Fish For Dogs
- Eco Innovation Award – All Fish For Dogs
- Social Innovation Award – Freedom Prosthetics, Freedom Socket Valve
- Young Entrepreneur Award – The Toadanator
- Mayor’s Inspire Award – TB2 BBQ Smokers FNQ Kettle Kone
- People’s Choice Award – The Toadanator
Become a TNQ Innovation Awards sponsor!
By getting behind the TNQ Innovation Awards, you will be directly contributing to the well being of our community and the liveability of our city. Investing in this event will help you reach local target markets and showcase your products and services.
Download a sponsorship prospectus ( PDF, 7.55 MB ) or contact Raine Davies, Coordinator Event Delivery on 07 4044 3261 or email@example.com
Entries for the 2018 TNQIAs are now closed.
Major Award categories
- Proven Innovation Award - for innovative products, processes and/or services in post-commercialisation stage (released to market or actively in commercial use).
- Pipeline Innovation Award - for innovative products, services or processes in development stage (progressed past an idea, prototype developed, at scoping or testing phase).
- Eco Innovation Award - for innovations that deliver specific environmental benefits.
- Indigenous Innovation Award - for innovative organisations with majority ownership/directorship by Indigenous persons.
- Social Innovation Award - for innovative new solutions to social issues to create or enhance social value.
- Young Entrepreneurs Award - for entrants aged 25 years and under (as at 14 September 2018).
- People's Choice Award - to be chosen by public vote during October 2018 (after shortlisting by the judging panel).
- Mayor's Inspire Award - for a stand-out innovation, selected by the Mayor.
Awards presentation event 22 November
The TNQ Innovation Awards presentation event keynote speaker is Dr Amantha Imber, an innovation psychologist, best-selling author, and founder of Australia’s leading innovation consultancy Inventium. She has helped companies such as Google, Coca-Cola, Disney, Virgin Australia and many others to innovate more successfully.
To find out more, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
People's Choice Award - Vote Now!
Voting is now open for People's Choice Award - let’s recognise and reward our brightest sparks!
Now it’s time for you to be the judge and vote for the winner!
You can only vote once so make it count! People’s Choice voting is open until 12 November!
Please note: this survey is best viewed in Chrome. Download the Chrome browser.
About the Awards
At Cairns Regional Council, we know that the spirit of innovation offers a competitive advantage to businesses operating within the Tropical North Queensland region and, through our Tropical North Queensland Innovation Awards (TNQIA), we continue to recognise, reward and support those who capture this spirit. The Awards:
- recognise, reward and support innovation, invention and commercialisation across the Tropical North Queensland region;
- promote a climate of pride in the region’s business community; and
- provide a platform for business promotion, collaboration and development.
In total, 54 entries were received for the 2018 TNQIA under two major award categories: Best Proven Innovation and Best Pipeline Innovation.
Mayor Bob Manning said the awards aim to encourage entrepreneurial endeavours in Tropical North Queensland.
“The awards recognise products and services that are already out in the marketplace, but also those that are still in the development phase.
“We hope the experience and exposure gained through the awards will help these innovations reach the next step toward business success.
The awards were presented on Thursday 22 November at the Tanks Arts Centre with keynote speaker Dr Amantha Imber.
Dr Imber is an innovation psychologist, best-selling author, and founder of Australia’s leading innovation consultancy Inventium.