Cairns Regional Council is committed to shaping a strong, diversified and sustainable regional economy that supports the growth of new and existing industry and business activities whilst enhancing local lifestyle and providing long term employment opportunities.
We are working to develop:
- a diversified and innovative business sector
- an economy which supports and facilitates employment opportunities
- infrastructure and utilities that facilitate and enhance sustainable growth
- an integrated approach to town and regional planning that strengthens local identity and lifestyle
- an attractive place to live, work and visit through the encouragement of investment, development and employment.
Cairns Regional Council - Economic Development Strategy 2018 - 2022
The Cairns Regional Council Economic Development Strategy 2018-2022 sets out how Council will deliver on its strategic objective of a strong, diversified and resilient regional economy that supports the growth of new and existing industry, business activities and provides long-term employment opportunities.
The strategy identifies the 10 key actions that will underpin the achievement of this objective:
- Preservation, Conservation & Promotion
- Trade & Investment
- Development & Diversification
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- Shared Vision
- Government Relations
- Targeted Activities.
Babinda and Gordonvale Economic Development Plans
Council is committed to the sustainable growth of Babinda and Gordonvale, and has developed Economic Development Plans for both communities. These plans aim to stimulate economic activity, employment and population growth, and investment, effectively promote the towns and local businesses, and improve liveability.
The key strategies and actions identified within each plan relate to:
- Tourism development and promotion,
- Business and industry development,
- Improved connectivity, and
- Cooperation between all levels of Government in the delivery of services.
Council will work in partnership with key stakeholders to deliver on these plans in a timely manner.
- Download the Babinda Economic Development Plan ( PDF, 0.56 MB )
- Download the Gordonvale Economic Development Plan ( PDF, 1.15 MB )
Cairns Recreational Fishing Strategy
Cairns has a long and proud history as one of the foremost fishing destinations anywhere on the planet, and Cairns Regional Council recognises the significant role recreational fishing plays in our local community.
The Queensland Government’s introduction of a commercial Net Free Zone in Cairns on 1 November 2015 has provided the impetus for Council to work with representatives of the recreational fishing sector and other key stakeholders to develop the Cairns Recreational Fishing Strategy 2018-2022 ( PDF, 4.47 MB ).
This strategy sets a clear vision for recreational fishing in our region with specific objectives developed for:
- our fisheries habitat and environment
- sustainable fisheries development
- recreational fishing infrastructure and access
- marketing and promotion
- business and event development