Types of Referrals
For certain building works applications, Cairns Regional Council is a Referral Agency, including for the following matters:
Queensland Development Code (QDC)
- Alternative side and rear boundary setbacks to those within the QDC
- Alternative front boundary setbacks to those within the QDC
- Alternative site coverage provisions to those within the QDC
CairnsPlan 2016 v.1.6
- Alternative building height provisions to those within the Low density residential zone code
- Alternative site coverage and/or setbacks to those within the Rural residential zone code
- Alternative setbacks and building height provisions within the Community facilities zone
- Amenity and aesthetics impact assessment required under section 1.8 of the CairnsPlan 2016
Referral assessment is undertaken in conjunction with the assessment managers (your building certifier) assessment of the building works application.
Making an application for a Referral Agency Assessment
An application for a Referral Agency Assessment can be lodged with Council:
- In person at Council’s Administration building at 119-145 Spence Street, Cairns
- By mail to:
Attention: Manager, Strategic Planning & Approvals
Cairns Regional Council
PO Box 359
Cairns QLD 4870
All applications for Referral Agency Assessment must be lodged using the following format:
- For all applications, complete Form RAA 1 – Council as a Referral Agency – Application Form ( PDF, 0.18 MB ); and
- Complete one of the following specific referral forms:
- Form RAA 2 – Siting dispensation for side and/or rear boundary ( PDF, 1.1 MB );
- Form RAA 3 – Siting dispensation for front boundary ( PDF, 0.03 MB );
- Form RAA 4 – Dispensation of Building Height Provisions ( PDF, 0.03 MB );
- Form RAA 5 – Dispensation for Site Coverage ( PDF, 0.03 MB );
- Form RAA 6 – Rural Residential Zone – Site Coverage and/or Setback Provisions ( PDF, 0.04 MB ); and
- Form RAA 7 – Amenity and Aesthetics Impact Referral ( PDF, 0.03 MB ).
- Provide any additional information requested within the relevant forms.
Applications for Referral Agency Assessment will be determined within a 10 business day period and will incur a fee. Refer to Council’s fees and charges.
Council may request additional information in order to assess your application. If additional information is requested, the assessment timeframe will be paused and resumed once a response is provided to Council.