Information for building certifiers

Shared responsibility for building approval records

Council keeps records of building approvals and associated certification documents for approvals issued in the Cairns region, so that current and future owners can access these records into the future.

Building certifiers must therefore lodge certain building application and approval documents with Council, by way of the Lodgement of Building Work Documentation (Form 20) available at the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

The particular building approval documents that a building certifier must lodge at Council include:  

  • The building application and associated documentation (IDAS 1 and 2 forms)
  • Notice of engagement (Form 56)
  • The decision notice (Form 6)
  • Final inspection certificate (Form 21) or certificate of classification (Form 11)
  • A copy of the plans, drawings and specifications and other stamped, approved documents
  • Other documents, including a list of required fire safety installations and required special fire services applying to the building work certificates relied on to decide the application and information relied on to decide the application in relation to local government easements, encumbrances or estates or interests in land likely to be relevant to the application.

It is important that these documents are always supplied to us within the legislated time frames, as it ensures the ongoing integrity of our records for the benefit of the community. 

The fees associated with the lodgement of this documentation can be found on Council’s fees and charges page.

How to lodge building approval documentation with us 

Documentation must be lodged along with payment of the appropriate fee.

By post 

Please send documentation to PO Box 359, Cairns QLD, 4870

In person

You may also give it to us over the counter, at Cairns Regional Council’s Administration Building, 119 - 145 Spence Street, Cairns.

Last updated: 06 March 2017