Shared responsibility for building approval records
Council keeps records of building approvals and associated certification documents for approvals issued in the Cairns region, so that current and future owners can access these records into the future.
Building certifiers must therefore lodge certain building application and approval documents with Council, by way of the Lodgement of Building Work Documentation (Form 20) available at the Department of Housing and Public Works website.
The particular building approval documents that a building certifier must lodge at Council include:
- The building application and associated documentation (IDAS form 2)
- Notice of engagement (Form 56)
- The decision notice (Form 6)
- Final inspection certificate (Form 21), (Form 17) or certificate of classification (Form 11)
- A copy of the plans, drawings and specifications and other stamped, approved documents
- Other documents, including a list of required fire safety installations and required special fire services applying to the building work certificates relied on to decide the application and information relied on to decide the application in relation to local government easements, encumbrances or estates or interests in land likely to be relevant to the application.
It is important that these documents are always supplied to us within the legislated time frames, as it ensures the ongoing integrity of our records for the benefit of the community.
How to lodge building approval documentation with us
Documentation must be lodged via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, we will check the application is complete and email a link to which payment can be paid by card.
Please send documentation to PO Box 359, Cairns QLD, 4870
You may also give it to us over the counter, at Cairns Regional Council’s Administration Building, 119 - 145 Spence Street, Cairns.