Fences - boundary, dividing and pool

Boundary and dividing fences 

The Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act 2011 (commenced on 1 November 2011) contains new laws on fences. 

It relates to constructing and repairing fences (including any structure, ditch, embankment, hedge or similar vegetation barrier) that divide adjoining land. It aims to help you obtain a contribution from your neighbour. 

If you are planning to build a fence over two metres high you must obtain a building approval (from a private certifier), in addition to meeting the requirements under the Neighbourhood Disputes Resolution Act.  Visit the Queensland Legislation website for more information. 

The Queensland Department of Justice and Attorney General website also provides more information about dividing fences, including a guide with a suggested plan of action which may be helpful in avoiding conflict with your neighbours about fencing and trees.

Pool fencing

The standard for fencing around a swimming pool is contained in the following legislation: 

  • AS1926.1 -2007 Swimming Pool Safety Part 1: Fencing for swimming pools 
  • AS1926.2 -1995 Swimming Pool Safety Part 2: Location of fencing for private swimming pools 
  • Queensland Development Code Mandatory Part 3.4 – Swimming Pool Barriers

Pool owners are responsible for ensuring pool barriers are maintained and damaged fencing or barriers are fixed immediately.

For more information about swimming pool fences and safety barriers, visit the Queensland Government Pool Safety website.

Last updated: 02 March 2017