Before you build

When is a building approval (certification) required?

A building development approval (certification), known as a building permit, is needed before you start construction on most types of domestic or commercial building works.

You will need a private building certifier who will assess whether the proposed work complies with the Building Act 1975 and associated regulations and building standards. Please note Council does not offer building certification services.

All building certifiers must be registered with the Queensland Building and Construction Commission.

Where can I find a private building certifier?

Council does not recommend private certifiers. The Queensland Building and Construction Commission however offers a Finding a Licensed Certifier service.

Further advice on engaging a certifier can also be found at the Department of Housing and Public Works website.

What else should I do?

It is important to ensure that you check whether any other types of approvals are required, including planning approvals or plumbing approvals from Council, prior to obtaining a building approval. Your building certifier should be able to give you this information in the initial stage.

Check that your building records are given to Council.

During the building application and approval process, the private building certifier is required to lodge a copy of approval related documentation with Council. A copy of these documents is held on Council's records in accordance with the legislation.

Last updated: 04 January 2018