Mon 16 Oct 2017
Location: Multiple times & locations around Cairns
Phone: 1800 RETAIL
Companion card: no
The Queensland Government will enforce a state-wide ban on single-use plastic bags from 1 July 2018.
This ban will affect all retailers – from grocery stores to fashion boutiques, from convenience stores to fast food outlets – that currently use light-weight plastic bags, including HDPE plastic, biodegradable, compostable, and degradable bags.
The National Retail Association (NRA) has partnered with the Queensland Government to help retailers navigate the new compliance issues, find alternative bag solutions, and to help retailers manage consumer sentiment to minimise negative impacts on their businesses.
To help retailers prepare for the impending plastic bag ban, the NRA will run several workshops around Cairns:
- Monday 16 October, 4:30-5:30pm @ Cairns Airport
- Tuesday 17 October, 8:30-11:30am @ Cairns Central
- Tuesday 17 October, 12-1pm @ Orchid Plaza, 79-87 Abbott St, Cairns
- Tuesday 17 October, 2-3pm @ The Pier Shopping Centre, 1 Pierpoint Rd, Cairns
- Tuesday 17 October, time TBC @ DFO Cairns, 274 Mulgrave Rd, Westcourt
- Wednesday 18 October, 8:30-11am @ Smithfield Shopping Centre
Each workshop and info session will provide retailers with the information and resources you need to manage the plastic bag ban, including advice on:
- What does my business need to do and by when?
- What does my business need to stop doing and by when?
- What bags can be used?
- Why are biodegradable bags banned?
- What are the alternatives to plastic bags?
- How should I manage the transition?
- How should I inform customers?
- How should I prepare my team?
- What else do I need to consider eg. new packing processes?
- What resources are available to help me?
The NRA strongly recommends all retailers that currently provide some form of plastic bag to customers – large and small – meet with an NRA representative during these visits. To ensure the NRA visits your business during this time, please contact email@example.com.Add to my calendar