As host of Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games basketball heats, Cairns will be front and centre when the action GC2018 action starts in April 2018.
As an Event City for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games, Cairns will have an important part to play in making these Games a success. The Games are about the amazing sporting action that will take place at the Convention Centre, however we will also be showcasing the amazing culture and the natural beauty of the region in which we live.
Queen's Baton Relay
The eyes of the Commonwealth will be on Cairns from March 15-17 next year, as the Queen's Baton journeys towards its final destination, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018) Opening Ceremony on 4 April 2018.
Across Australia approximately 3,800 batonbearers are needed to share the dream of the ‘friendly Games’ as part of the QBR.
A community nomination program will offer the people of Cairns and the surrounding region with an opportunity to carry the Baton. Batonbearers are people of all abilities who inspire others to be great. Batonbearers will represent a community with pride and showcase to the world the region’s natural beauty and vibrant community.
GC2018 are looking for people who:
- Are an Australian citizen or lawfully entitled to reside in Australia during the Relay period (25 December 2017 – 4 April 2018).
- Have achieved something extraordinary or inspired others to achieve something extraordinary; or
- Have made a significant contribution to either sport, education, the arts, culture, charity or within their community; or
- Have excelled, or aspire to excel athletically or personally; or
- Contribute to a fun, friendly, vibrant and inclusive community;
- Are at least 10 years old as at 25 December 2017.
Nominations for baton bearers in the Queen's Baton Relay have now closed.
GC2018 Ticket requests
Ticket requests for the GC2018 Commonwealth Games have now closed.