ANZAC Day is a national day of remembrance in Australia and New Zealand, originally commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour the members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in the Ottoman Empire during World War I. It now more broadly commemorates all those who served and died in military operations for their countries.
ANZAC Day is the day we remember all Australians who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations. The spirit of ANZAC, with its human qualities of courage, mateship, and sacrifice, continues to have meaning and relevance for our sense of national identity.
Local ANZAC Day events
Events will be held across the Cairns region to recognise the spirit of Anzac and remember those who served and died in all wars, conflicts and peacekeeping operations.
A number of temporary road closures will be in effect to allow for these Anzac Day services to take place.
Refer back to this page early 2018 for Anzac Day services and road closures.
- 4:25am Dawn parade from RSL Memorial Hall to ANZAC Park (cenotaph) followed by service/ wreath laying (assemble at 4:00am at RSL Memorial Hall)
- 10:00am Commemorative march (assemble at 9:50am RSL Memorial Hall) to ANZAC Park, followed by service/ wreath laying
Road closures - 9:45am to 10:30am
- School Street from Church Street to Munro Street
- Munro Street from School Street to Knowles Street
The Dawn Service will commence at the Cenotaph on the Cairns Esplanade at 5.30 am.
Ecumenical Church Service
Cairns Ecumenical Service will be held in St Monica's Cathedral commencing at 8.15am.
The March will step off at Fogarty Park at 10.00 am.
* NOTE: the parade will travel north along the Esplanade to Minnie Street and along Grafton Street to enter Munro Martin Parklands. This is the opposite direction to last year’s march.
The Commemoration Service will begin after the arrival of the March (approx. 10.35am) at Munro Martin Parklands.
- Esplanade from Spence Street to Minnie street - 3am to noon
- Grafton Street from Minnie Street to Florence Street - 9am to noon parking reserved by Council 2.30am - noon
- Florence Street from the Esplanade to Grafton Street - 9am to noon
Munro Martin Parklands will be closed on Monday 24 April for ANZAC Day preparations.
- 4:10am Commemorative March (assemble on Anderson Street entrance)
- 4:28am Dawn Service begins at the War graves, Martyn Street Cemetery
- 5:15am Dawn parade at Fuller Park (cenotaph) followed by service/wreath laying
- 5:28am Bugler sounds long "G"
- 7:45am Commemorative march (assemble outside Hambledon Hotel) with service/ wreath laying to follow at Fuller Park (cenotaph)
Road closures - 7:30am to 10:30am
- Bruce Highway from Service Road, Stoke Street to Cattle Street
- Cattle Street from Stoke Street to Wolff Street
- Wolff Street from Cattle Street to Fuller Park
- 3:30am Gunfire breakfast at RSL Annex (next to tennis court in Norman Park)
- 4:15am Dawn Service begins at Norman Park cenotaph (assemble at 4:00am at RSL, Gordon Street) followed by service/ wreath laying
- 6:00am Breakfast at Norman Park
- 9:00am Parade to assemble at Gordonvale Primary School
- 9:30am Commemorative march from Gordonvale Primary School to Norman Park (cenotaph) followed by service/ wreath laying
Road closures - 9am to 11am
- Gordon Street from Mills Street to Norman Street
- Norman Street from Gordon Street to Cannon Street
- Cannon Street from Norman Street to George Street
- George Street from Cannon Street to Sheppards Street
- 6:50am Parade assembles at Stratford Post Office
- 6:55am Commemorative march to Stratford Cenotaph, followed by service and wreath laying
Road closures - 6:55am to 7:15am
- Stratford Parade from Dalgely Street to Greenbank Road
- Tully Street entrance onto Stratford Parade
- Magazine Street from Greenbank Road
- 5:30am Dawn parade (assemble adjacent to Memorial) followed by commemorative address and wreath laying
Road closures - 5am to 8am
- Vasey Esplanade from Trinity Beach Road to Possum Street
- 8:30am Commemorative service at the Boat Club Marina