Pumped - A Water and Waste Art Trail
- Suburb: Gordonvale, Mount Sheridan, White Rock, Manunda, Cairns North, Brinsmead, Redlynch, Holloways Beach, Kewarra Beach
- Work period (anticipated): 12:00am 01/12/2017 to 12:00am 30/06/2018
- Description: Water and Waste Art Trail, various suburbs, Council’s Public Art Program
- Likely impacts: Noise; Traffic Control
- Location: Gordonvale to Kewarra Beach
- Status: Open
Cairns Regional Council (Council) has approved a public art initiative in the three year capital works program as part of Council’s Public Art Program. The initiative is designed to improve the visual amenity of Cairns Regional Council Water and Waste’s already constructed infrastructure.
The sites identified for public art works under Contract 75480 - 'PUMPED – A Water Art Trail' are anticipated to commence in late November 2017 and be completed by no later than June 2018.
Nine (9) sites, one (1) in each Council division, have been identified for the initial package of works to be delivered in the 2017/18 financial year. Each site is part of the water and wastewater infrastructure network operated by Council.
|Division||Site Details||Recommended Artist||Anticipated Start Date|
Sewer Pump Station G05, Off Kern St, Gordonvale, Off Bruce Highway
Anthony Vue Vanghoua
Foster Road Water Booster Pump Station, Hardy Road, Mount Sheridan
M Toohey (trading as Chelles Artworks)
Sewer Pump Station WR4, Corner Kambara Street and Hollywood Boulevard, White Rock
Lake Morris Road Water Pump Station - At the foot of Lake Morris Road, Brinsmead
Sewer Pump Station RL1, Kamerunga Road, Redlynch
Sewer Pump Station T14, Cnr Fallon & Newton Street, Manunda (Near TAFE college)
Nicky Bidgu Prior (Endless Entertainment)
|9||Sewer Pump Station KB2, Kewarra Street, Kewarra Beach||Louise Derry||Underway|
|8||Holloways Beach Water Tower, Cnr of Cassia and Oleander St, Holloways Beach||Sea Walls Festival||May 2018|
|5||Sewer Pump Station K, 356 Sheridan Street, Cairns North||Sea Walls Festival||May 2018|
The 2017/18 program of works is planned to be delivered in two parts:
- Seven (7) sites have been included in this initial phase - PUMPED – A Water Art Trail. Invitations were sought from suitably qualified artists to submit concept designs for street art at these sites. The submissions were evaluated by a panel of internal and external artistic specialists; and
- There is a potential for two (2) sites (Holloways Beach Water Tower and Sewer Pump Station K) to be included in the Sea Walls Festival to be held in Cairns in February 2018, where national and international mural artists will be collaborating with local artists to beautify high profile Cairns sites. Should the Sea Walls Festival not proceed, these two sites will be delivered by local artists.
A number of high profile sites in Cairns (both Council and commercial properties) will be included in the potential Sea Walls Festival to be held in February 2018. The festival is PangeaSeed Foundation’s public art program. The foundation is an international non-profit organisation that collaborates through multidisciplinary creative mediums, connecting with members of the contemporary art and environmental communities to raise public awareness for the conservation of our oceans.
Each site needs to be cleaned and the surface prepared for the artists prior to them commencing their works.
Working hours shall generally be 6.00am to 6.30pm seven days a week.
Please be assured that any inconvenience will be kept to an absolute minimum where possible.
Should you require any further information please contact Customer Service on 4044 3044.