Environmental Health

Council's Environmental Health Unit oversees relevant health standards and legislation, and is committed to a safer, healthier future for our residents and visitors. 

Our area covers food premises and food for sale, accommodation venues, pests and noise nuisance, public health risks and personal appearance services (tattooing, body piercing).

Choose the area that concerns you from the list below.

You can also go straight to our fees and charges or read the FAQ on food-industry issues. 

The Environmental Health Unit can be contacted on 4044 3044 or LicensingandApprovals@cairns.qld.gov.au.


All the information, forms and applications needed to apply for, renew or update a permit to operate a food business or activity.

Accommodation venues and events

Caravan parks, camping grounds, backpacker accommodation and shared facility accommodation venues require a Council permit. Details of how to apply, renew or update a permit.

Personal Appearance Services

Businesses such as tattooing, body piercing, hairdressing and beauty therapy are considered higher risk services and require permits. Other personal appearance services require operators to follow infection control guidelines.

Vermin, mosquitoes, noise

Rats, mice, mosquitoes and excessive noise are common complaints made to Council. Read more about requirements and what to do if you have a complaint.


FAQ for people setting up or operating food premises, sausage sizzles and home-based businesses in Cairns.