Council's Environmental Health Unit oversees relevant health standards and legislation, and is committed to a safer, healthier future for our residents and visitors. Environmental Health functions cover:
- Health promotion and education.
- Monitoring standards in accommodation, food industry, tattooing, body piercing and public facilities.
- Guidance on public health issues including vermin (rats and mice).
- Mosquito and Vector Control.
- Public health surveillance.
- Disaster management assistance.
Environmental Health Officers work with the local food industry to maintain the highest standards. These include:
- Advice on food safety standards.
- Guidance on compliance with food hygiene requirements.
- Monitoring food businesses.
- Free online Food Safety Training
- Co-operating with the food industry to improve standards.
- Providing multi-language food hygiene information.
- Providing education programs for schools.
- Advice on Food Safety for community and charity groups.
- Public Health Act 2005
- Public Health (Infection Control for Personal Appearance Services) Act 2003
- Health Act 1937
- Health Regulations 1996
- Food Act 2006
- Local Laws 6,10 & 20
More information can be obtained from the Queensland Legislation website.