Forms & permits

Building services forms

Information for the building and development industry, property owners and solicitors acting on behalf of vendors. Applications and forms for building plans, demolition, house relocation, siting dispensation and more.

Cemeteries forms

Information and forms for burials including graves, mausoleums, niches, memory garden sites and inurnment.

Community grants and support

The Grants program is available to provide funding to community based groups, individuals and organisations who are providing programs, activities and projects that enrich the opportunities to residents.

Direct debit

A Direct Debit arrangement will allow you to make regular payments in advance towards your Rates or Water Usage Notice. Payments can be debited from your savings or cheque account weekly, fortnightly, monthly (Rates only) or in full.

Drinking water quality

Drinking water quality high risk stakeholder registration

Environmental health

Information & application forms for: food business premises; market food stalls; temporary food premises; rental accommodation premises; personal appearance services; entertainment venues.

Environmental protection

Council is responsible for implementing specific provisions of the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and subordinate legislation pertaining to the protection of the environment. Other legislation administered by Council includes the Dangerous Goods Safety Management Act 2001.

Facilities, sport and recreation

Information & applications for: weddings at Botanic Gardens and Sugarworld Gardens; use of Barlow Park; hire of Council facilities & parklands; bookings for use of parklands, reserves and foreshores; release of CCTV footage.

Filming & photography

Application form for commercial filming and photography within the Cairns Regional Council local government area.

Local laws

Council has local laws covering a range of business activities including Food Businesses, Accommodation Premises, Outdoor/alfresco Dining, Vegetation, and nuisances such as noise and dust.


Information & applications for: parking permits; parking bay hood; Lake Street parking station; Grafton Street parking station; heavy vehicle permit.

Pets & animal management

Information & applications for: dog registration; guide dog, hearing dog and assistance dog registration; noisy bird permit; pet shop, cattery, kennel.

Planning and development

Information & applications for: compliance assessment; developer contributions; pre-lodgement enquiries; planning scheme request; planning scheme proposed developments.

Plumbing services

Plumbing assessment and inspections, compliance certificates on plumbing work on all buildings in the Cairns regional area. Inspection and testing on water supply and sewage installation in new subdivisions and approval of applications for buildings.


Rates forms and applications including Change of Address, Land Record Search, Pensioner rate remission application, Notice of Objection against Categorisation.

Right to Information

On 1 July 2009 legislation changed. The new legislation includes the Right to Information Act which replaces the old Freedom of Information Act 1992 (FOI), and the Information Privacy Act 2009 (IP) which replaces the former information standards.

Roads & easements

Forms & permits for: temporary road closure and traffic control; transport abnormal load on Council managed road; undertake sporting, social or commercial filming activity on road reserve; locate temporary structure on an easement.

Trade waste

Information & applications for: trade waste handling; liquid waste; grease arrestors; prohibited substances.

Waste & recycling

Information & applications for: new wheelie bin; replacement wheelie bin; repair wheelie bin.

Water billing

Information & applications for: water fees & charges; metered standpipes; rates & water overpayment; water meter testing.

Water laboratory services

Information & applications for testing of water samples: environmental water testing; suitable for human drinking testing; wastewater and pollution testing; other water sample testing.

Water Services / subdivisional connections

Information & applications for new residential water service; rural water service; commercial water service; subdivisional connections; water service relocation; subsidiary water meter; alterations to sewer and water mains.