Gordon Street Reserve is categorised as Linear Open Space.
Linear Parks are low use public open space areas with primary uses for stormwater management, buffering or linkage. Recreation or active transport are secondary uses.
History behind the name
This park honours John Gordon, butcher, cane grower and Gordonvale pioneer. He went to the Palmer River in January 1874 and then took the first mob of bullocks to Port Douglas in 1877, where he started butchering. He started butchering at Goldsborough but suffered heavy losses. He then opened a shop at Pyramid in 1882 but when Pyramid closed he moved over to where the town of Gordonvale now is. He formed the company Munro, Gordon & Co., operating as station owners and butchers. He acquired land at Mount Sophia, became a cane farmer and was a director of the Mulgrave Central Mill for many years.