Phone 4044 3730 or contact via website www.cairns.qld.gov.au/library
Council’s libraries hold an extensive collection of books, microfiche/microfilm and CD-ROMs to help you research your family history. The collection mainly focuses on Australian material with an emphasis on Queensland. However, expanding overseas resources are also included in the collection.
Major resources (located at the Cairns City Library)
- Birth, death and marriage indexes for all Australian states and territories accessible through Ancestory.com at any library branch
- The Cairns Post newspaper on microfilm, located at the Cairns City Library
- Cemetery indexes and monumental inscriptions, including the Cairns Cemeteries database
- Early directories, electoral rolls, naturalisations and convict records
- Guides to researching cultural and ethnic groups and specific countries
- Pre-1856 NSW Birth/Death/Marriage certificates on microfilm
- Pre-1900 Tasmanian Birth/Death/Marriage certificates on microfilm
- Immigration and shipping records
Family history eResources
There is an extensive range of eResources on the Cairns Libraries website.