Click on the list below for more details about the topic.
Phone 4044 3730 or contact via the Cairns Libraries website
Cairns City Library holds an extensive collection of books, microfiche, microfilm, and CD-ROMS to assist with researching your family history. The collection mainly focuses on Australian material with an emphasis on Queensland.
The collection is always increasing and includes quite an extensive database of overseas resources.
- Birth, Death and Marriage indexes for all Australian states and territories accessible through ancestory.com or any of our seven Cairns library branches.
- The Cairns Post newspaper on microfilm
- Cemetery indexes and monumental inscriptions, including theCairns Cemeteries database
- Early directories, electoral rolls,
- naturalisations and convict indents
- Guides to researching cultural and ethnic groups as well as specific countries
- Pre - 1856 NSW Birth, Death and Marriage certificates are available on microfilm
- Pre - 1900 Tasmanian Birth, Death and Marriage certificates available on microfilm* Immigration and shipping records
Family history eResources
Pioneer Cemetery guided walks (1 – 1.5 hrs)
For bookings, contact the Cairns and District Family History Society Inc. via email email@example.com
Cairns and District Family History Society in conjunction with Cairns Regional Council provide both primary and secondary schools with guided walks through McLeod Street Pioneer Cemetery. During the walk, students will actively learn about the history of the
cemetery, interpretation of the headstones, stories of some of the early pioneers and what
life was like in their time.
The Cairns and District Family History Society will provide support to ensure the walk is tailored to specific curriculum objectives.
Accredited teachers were consulted during the creation of the teacher’s notes and student worksheets to ensure the content complies with the Australian curriculum objectives.
Tanks Arts Centre history school group tours
Phone 4032 6600 or contact via email firstname.lastname@example.org
School tours can be arranged at any time during weekdays with opening hours from Monday to Friday (9:00am to 4:30pm). Enjoy learning the history of the Tanks from their use as a naval fuel storage facility in World War II to their reincarnation as an arts centre
in the mid- 1990s.
There is also an opportunity to visit exhibitions in Tank 4 and learn more about the history of visual art in the Cairns region.
Note: Subscribe to the monthly Tanks program at www.tanksartcentre.com.au