Tanks Arts Centre
Tanks Arts Centre is situated in the Cairns Botanic Gardens precinct, just 4km north of the city’s CBD, the centre is an iconic and innovative multi-use, contemporary arts facility housed in three converted World War 2 naval oil storage tanks, and set amidst a lush rainforest backdrop.
Tanks combine two main functions, that of a ‘presenter’ organisation offering a range of arts and cultural events and activities to a wide audience, and a community cultural development organisation which aims to proactively engage local communities in cultural expression and participation.
Munro Martin Parklands (MMP)
Munro Martin Parklands (MMP) is Cairns' newest community gathering place complete with an outdoor performance space. The Parklands boast tropical plantings, vine-covered pergolas and arbours and an open-air plaza to encourage passive, casual use of the facility.
Munro Martin Parklands is open to the public from 6am to 8.30pm, seven days a week except on ticketed event days.
Note: When attending events at the Parklands, please be sure to dress appropriate to the weather and be considerate when using umbrellas as they can hinder the view of other patrons.
Cairns Performing Arts Centre (CPAC)
(currently under construction)
Work on the Cairns Performing Arts Centre (CPAC) began in May 2016 with the theatre expected to be open in the first half of 2018.
CPAC will provide the people of Cairns with a performing arts centre worthy of our great city and one that will be able to host larger shows. CPAC will:
- provide seating for 940 people, incorporating balcony seating
- significantly increase the foyer, bar area, and public amenities
- create a black box theatre that can double as a 400-seat performance space, rehearsal, and warm-up area
- improve back of house facilities, including more change rooms and toilets, a crossover, higher and covered loading bay
- provide a deeper stage, more spacious wings, higher proscenium arch, higher fly tower and more fly lines
- significantly increase the orchestra pit and providing better piano storage improve acoust