Survey highlights business issues
The inaugural 2011 Cairns Business Survey was completed by a total of 724 local businesses. With focus areas including business operations and structure, home-based business, workforce and employment needs, business confidence, impediments to business growth, innovation and technology, the survey has provided a strong base of information to feed directly into Council's business planning.
Key issues highlighted by businesses include:
- Businesses are indicating improving business confidence looking to 3-6 months;
- A call for improved marketing of Cairns businesses, more networking, more small business assistance and better access to capital as priority areas for support;
- Education, training and export assistance;
- High importance placed by businesses on access to high speed broadband;
- Over 1/3 of businesses are investing in innovation, research and development, but access to R&D and funding was identified as significant barriers to innovation.
The survey results are available for viewing in the Related Documents at right, and will be built into Council’s Economic Development and Innovation Strategy and Plans for 2011-2014.