In 2007, the Edmonton Sport and Recreation Facility Needs Study identified a need for additional land for sport in the southern suburbs of Cairns. In response, Council purchased a parcel of land on Walker Road Edmonton for sport and recreation purposes in 2008. The site is home to the new Edmonton Leisure Centre and is also planned to support a range of other sports, particularly field sports.
Following community engagement and other research activities, the Walker Road Sport and Recreation Precinct Master Plan was prepared and subsequently adopted by Council at its Ordinary meeting on 30 October 2013.
About the Master Plan
The Walker Road Master Plan recommends providing a multi-use location for formal sport for local and district catchments as well as recreation which complements the formal sporting use.
Specific elements include:
- 5 diamond fields to service baseball and softball
- 4 oval fields (2 senior, 2 junior) to accommodate vigoro, cricket, AFL and hockey (1 junior at School)
- 2 rectangular fields to service football (soccer), touch and oztag
- 2 multi-purpose amenities hubs (possible future shared clubhouse) + small toilet/ storage hub
- Outdoor multi-purpose courts
- Recreational elements - exercise & play, picnic &seating, pedestrian & cycling infrastructure, and arts & cultural installations
- Parking, traffic and landscaping.
Staging for this sporting precinct:
- Stage 1A - complete and now the home of Cairns Junior Baseball League Inc and Cairns Softball.
- Stage 1B is anticipated to start after the cane rail is relocated, at this stage we have been advised that will happen around 1 April 2017
- Stage 2 is anticipated to start in June
- Stage 3 Shared Amenities Building is anticipated to start in July
- Stage 4 is future project and has not been master planned as yet