Enjoy an active lifestyle
Cairns is a great place to get outdoors and be active. There are a range of paths and cycle ways that allow you to explore this beautiful region at your own pace. Read our Cycling and Walking Strategy to find out some more about the strategic direction for the delivery of paths and bikeways for the next 20 years.
Cairns Cycling and Walking Circuit
The Cairns Walking and Cycling Circuit has been developed to provide enjoyable recreation activities within central Cairns through off-road walking and cycling paths.
The routes take in the Esplanade lagoon, the foreshore to the Cairns Botanic Gardens, Cairns Central Swamp, along scenic waterways including Lily Creek and Saltwater Creek, and past regional sporting centres.
Three rides have been marked on the maps as well as a hiking track through Cairns Central Swamp.
Choose your next track by downloading the Cycling and Walking Circuit ( PDF, 0.91 MB ) map.
Recreational Bicycle Routes
If you'd like to try a new bike route in your area, we've got some easy-to-follow maps for you below.
- Brinsmead to Redlynch return 15.5km ( PDF, 0.83 MB )
- Clifton Beach 12.5km ( PDF, 0.77 MB )
- Clifton Beach 15.4km ( PDF, 0.78 MB )
- Clifton Beach 19km ( PDF, 0.89 MB )
- Clifton Beach 20km ( PDF, 1.53 MB )
- Freshwater/Lake Placid 14km ( PDF, 1.1 MB )
- Lake Placid 16km ( PDF, 0.81 MB )
- Redlynch 9.6km ( PDF, 0.67 MB )
- Edge Hill 10km ( PDF, 1.03 MB )
- Edge Hill 18km ( PDF, 1.1 MB )
- Edge Hill 20km ( PDF, 1.12 MB )
- Esplanade 4km ( PDF, 0.96 MB )
- Esplanade 10.2km ( PDF, 1.04 MB )
Cycling and Walking Strategy
The Cycling and Walking Strategy provides Council with strategic direction for the construction of paths and bikeways over the next 20 years and will help our region be even more bicycle and pedestrian friendly.
The Cycling and Walking Strategy can be viewed here.
Cycling & Walking Network Implementation Plan: Map Portfolio
The following maps show the on-road and off-road networks throughout the Cairns region.