Parks, gardens & leisure facilities
Council provides many facilities for you to enjoy recreational, sporting and leisure pursuits - including parks and gardens, BBQ and picnic facilities, public pools, sports fields and playgrounds.
- Bookings of Public Spaces: request the use of beaches, parks and other public areas for special events.
- Cairns Botanic Gardens: view our wonderful collection of native and exotic tropical plants.
- Cattana Wetlands: nature conservation park with BBQs, picnic areas, boardwalk and bird hides.
- Centenary Lakes: fresh and salt-water lakes in Cairns Botanic Gardens precinct.
- Sugarworld Gardens: relax in the beautiful gardens of Edmonton's botanic reserve.
- Community gardens: Several community gardens have been established in Cairns.
- Barlow Park: multi-sports facility with field, 8-lane athletics track, grandstand, function room, etc.
- Cairns International Tennis Centre: International standard tennis courts located within the North Cairns sporting precinct.
- Cycling & walking network: explore our region on foot and by bicycle.
- Edmonton Leisure Centre: a dual purpose community leisure and disaster evacuation facility.
- Marlin Coast Recreation Centre: indoor multi sport facility in Smithfield.
- Public Swimming Pools: public swimming pools are available for public use (fees apply).
- Sport Parks and Facilities: details of leased and non-leased sports parks.
- Sport and Recreation: get involved in a diversity of sporting and recreational opportunities.
- West Barlow Park: can be used for Rugby League/Union, Soccer, OzTag, athletics, training, etc.
- Beaches: our region has some of the most beautiful coastline in Queensland.
- Cairns Esplanade website: find out what's happening at Cairns' famous landmark destination.
- Mangrove Boardwalk - Airport: walk through the unique mangrove ecosystem close to Cairns Airport.
- Mt Whitfield Conservation Park: nature-based walks through a rugged, forested mountain range.
- Sugarworld Water Park: escape the heat at Cairns' coolest water park.